VDL Tiering InformationPosted on April 20, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
The Tiering System
(updated January 13th, 2011)
What is it?
- It is a system by which teams are placed into separate tiers based on skill level
- For the regular season, all nights have three tiers
- Teams play in their respective tiers until a re-tier takes place
- Re-tiering occurs twice during the season
How is re-tiering done?
- The first re-tier moves roughly 5-6 teams up and down, the second re-tier moves roughly 2-4 teams up and down; there is no set number
- The amount of teams moved depend on a team’s performance, player’s skill level, and the competitiveness of the tier
- Ultimately, it is based on the discretion of the Division Director and the League Scheduler
Why do we have tiers and re-tiering periods?
- Tiers provide teams with an opportunity to play within their own skill level. Dodgeball is more exciting and fun when teams are evenly matched.
- Re-tiering gives teams an opportunity to play a wider range of teams, rather than seeing the same teams for the entire season. This allows players to meet and befriend other players, thus strengthening the VDL community.